Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Suffering, Part 3

In our Bible Study this week, we looked at the life of Peter.  The author showed the way Peter matured between his life with Jesus, living and learning with him, and the end of his life as he wrote I & 2 Peter.  He grew and matured through the suffering his life was filled with.  The life that God had for him and the life that Peter chose to walk. There was so much depth to the authors writing.  So much understanding and truth he taught us through looking at the Greek words spoken between Jesus and Peter and then later in Peter's writing. They are still settling into me and I can't wait to learn further in class tomorrow.

We looked at the footprints story.  You've heard it, I'm sure.  Where the man is looking back on his life and asks the Lord why there were times when he was walking alone.  The Lord responds that those were the times when the man was carried.  In this study we saw how Jesus leaves us footprints as an example to follow.  Footprints that we not only follow, but that we actually walk in.  They are drawn by the master, sketched out for all to follow.  As an example to follow.  Then the details the magnificent art, is filled in by the master painter that is individual to all our lives.

The thing that has sunk into me the deepest is a verse we had to break down.  The question was:
"By means of observation of the text, list 10 - 15 things from 1 Peter 2:21-25 which Jesus did for His redeemed or else are true about Him."

and the verse:

Fore you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth; and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously; and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His woulds you are healed.  For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls."

He suffered on my behalf,
He left me an example to followed,
He called me to suffer,
He left me His steps,
He committed no sin,
He did not lie,
He was reviled,
He didn't revile in return,
He did not threaten,
He entrusted Himself to God,
He bore my sins on His cross,
I can die to sin because of this,
I can live righteously because of this,
His wounds healed me,
I will stray,
God will guard me and bring me back



A verse full of things He, Jesus, did for me.  He did these things for me while suffering.  They are the footprints, the example that He left for me on how to suffer.  They are an example to look to in times of suffering.  Today they are a picture of what He went through for me.  How can I be anything but humbled and amazed?  How can I not fall at His feet and worship?  How can I not have faith that if He did these things for me while in so much suffering, that He will go walk me through, lead me through, guide me through any suffering He might ask of me.

This journey of learning continues...


No comments: