Monday, February 23, 2009

Mt. Everest

By Josh T
Mt. Everest
Have you ever climbed Mount Everest? What about seeing a Yeti? Well I have, actually several times. Yes, that’s right; Mt. Everest and a Yeti, and I did not even need to go to Nepal. I did it all in central Florida at Walt Disney World. The Everest I experienced wasn’t 29,000 feet, it was more like 290 feet. As for the Yeti I encountered, it was not really that scary, it was more like a carpet attached to a robot. Even though this was not the real Everest and Yeti, it was just as thrilling as experiencing the real thing.
Disney World’s Mt. Everest is a very exciting ride that zooms you along on a narrow gauge railroad rollercoaster on Mt. Everest. This is a very popular ride so it usually has one of the longest lines in the whole park. When you get in the line, you are in the setting of a Nepalese Village, high in the Himalayas’. The village has a temple to the Yeti “Abominable Snowman”. There are also many interesting artifacts found on Everest that have been placed in the village for people to see.
Once you get to the end of the line, you get on the train and as you go up the mountain you see a shrine to the Yeti. By the time you get to the top you can see miles away. The ride enters the mountain at extreme speeds, making sharp turns with surprising drops. Eventually the train comes to a part of the track that was broken by the Yeti. At this point the Yeti appears and the train heads in reverse to escape down the mountain. You then come to the end of the track and go backward and feel like you went upside down. As the train escapes the Yeti it comes hurling out of the mountain to take a huge, gut wrenching turn before entering the train station at the end of the ride.
I will always remember this experience because I love the ride and I love being with my family at the happiest place on earth. I think that Mt. Everest will always be one of my favorite rides at Walt Disney World. I know I’ve been to Disney World twice but I hope to go again in the future.

1 comment:

AML said...

Great essay!! I loved how many details were used in describing the ride. It made me experience the adventure right along with him. Very well written!!