Monday, March 22, 2010

The View

I've watched the View occassionally over the last couple of years. Stopped while Rosie was on, just couldn't handle that. Whopi seems to be much better. Always want to cheer Elizabeth on. Last week I was so infuriated that I swore I would never watch it again. They were bad mouthing Christians for not being accepting. Briefly, a little girl wasn't being allowed into a catholic private school because her parents were lesbians. Talk went round and round and the point was brought up that it was private and the schools rules. Joy wasn't satisfied with this because religion needs to loosen up was her point. She basically said if we're suppose to be wise and loving than we need to be accepting. This made me so mad!! Yes, we need to be wise and accepting, but this doesn't mean we through the Bible out the window. Whopi too wanted us to open our minds and loosen up. I kept thinking of the old saying, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." If we don't stick to the Bible, then why bother!!! If we go with a "cut and paste" philosophy or with today's social wisdom, then why bother! We no longer stand for anything, but everything. That's not how it works!! As you can tell, this just left me made and unsettled.

Today, as I was reading through 1 Corinthians 2, I was so excited to read verse 7. "Yet we do speak wisdome amoung those who are MATURE," (meaning, having wise decisions with mature believers in their faith, not wasting our time arguing with the TV and the ladies on the view, they just wont get it) but it goes on, "however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age who are passing away," As Christians, we don't speak in the wisdom of our culture today or with the wisdom of today's leaders. We are told right there not to give into it and even, in a way, warned that it won't be the same as ours. So exciting to have the Bible completely applied to my life today. It happens often, but so excited to have a verse in mind when today's wisdom is so wrong. I was told it would happen!!